Bejeweled, Warcraft Combine to Form World's Most Addictive

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Bejeweled, Warcraft Combine to Form World's Most Addictive

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 19 Sep 2008 04:48 pm

I know, that sounds like an April Fool's joke, doesn't it? But it's not:

Bejeweled, Warcraft Combine to Form World's Most Addictive Game
Wired wrote:Where will PopCap Games' megahit puzzle game Bejeweled pop up next? Would you believe ... World of Warcraft?

A version of the match-three game is set to launch next Thursday within the World of Warcraft MMO (massively multiplayer online), letting players kill time with puzzles during raids and long stints farming rare items.

The added level of addiction will no doubt entertain many World of Warcraft fans, but the real story here is how the game went from a student's pet project to solid evidence that PopCap doesn't subscribe to traditional ideas of corporate hegemony.

The World of Warcraft version of Bejeweled began life as one hobbyist's personal mod.

Michael Fromwiller, a student at San Jose State University in California, used his love of PopCap's puzzler to combat a typical, if paradoxical, WoW problem: The addictive game is often boring.

Players, Fromwiller says, frequently find themselves staring slack-jawed at the screen, watching the trade channel for hot deals on virtual items or waiting for friends to log in so a raid can begin.

"Thinking about all the add-ons that I used and what they could do, I decided that there was potential [in making] a mini-game to play within World of Warcraft," Fromwiller says.

"I started with a simple game or two in order to see what type of games I could make. After I was satisfied with the results, I thought to myself: 'Hey! What about Bejeweled? I could probably make a clone of the original game for WoW and could cure plenty of hours of boredom.'"

Above: Fromwiller's original version of Besharded.

Using World of Warcraft's mod tools, Fromwiller built a surprisingly convincing copy of PopCap's game, which he called Besharded. His feat did not go unnoticed by the Seattle-based publisher of the original.

"[Besharded] was cool and fun, but not very polished, so we reached out to the gamer in question and hired him to do an official version of Bejeweled for WoW," PopCap representative Garth Chouteau said in an e-mail to Wired.com.

Blizzard did not respond to requests for comment.

When asked why Blizzard would show no opposition to adding a competitor's game within their game, Chouteau said: "I think there may be some Bejeweled fans over there."
So, I guess what they're saying is that Popcap is going to sell a downloadable mod that will let you play Bejeweled from within WoW. Interesting.

There's already an in-game Tetris knock-off.

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Re: Bejeweled, Warcraft Combine to Form World's Most Addictive

Post by Clouseau » 20 Sep 2008 08:54 pm

letting players kill time with puzzles during raids
I know many people are so good and geared now that paying attention isn't required, but how stupid is this? If it were up to me it would be disabled when you are in a raid group. Stupid ideas just drive me insane. Well, more insane.
This world may be another planet's hell.{Aldous Huxley}
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.{Aldous Huxley}

Voca
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Voca » 21 Sep 2008 06:41 am

*hug* angry Clou :p
I'm not cute, I'm just drawn that way.

"Aimer, ce n'est pas se regarder l'un l'autre, c'est regarder ensemble dans la même direction." – Antoine de Saint Exupery

Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 22 Sep 2008 10:49 am

"YES, I wiped the raid, but on a more positive note, I just set a high score."

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 29 Sep 2008 12:41 pm

Clouseau wrote:
letting players kill time with puzzles during raids
I know many people are so good and geared now that paying attention isn't required, but how stupid is this? If it were up to me it would be disabled when you are in a raid group. Stupid ideas just drive me insane. Well, more insane.
As a raid leader in my guild, I know where you're coming from, but I get the feeling that mods like this are used more for dead time in raids, such as when people go AFK, when someone needs to hearth back and repair, finding more people to start a raid, etc.

In my experience, dead times like that are a major reason people burn out on raiding, so I see more of a positive value to it than a negative one.
Andostre -- 70 Human Priest on Crushridge
Spaten -- 70 Dwarf Warrior on Crushridge
Tleki -- 30s Gnome Warrior on Silver Hand
Lamon -- 40s Orc Warlock on Silver Hand
(And a bunch of other considerably less than 70 alts all scattered about)

Lanorith
Private
Private

Post by Lanorith » 30 Sep 2008 01:56 pm

Set the mod up so it goes away when combat starts. Problem solved.

"If you're going to play the game, play to win."

"When I was young all my friends were imaginary. Now that I'm older all my friends are virtual."

Lanorith Ironheart