What are the pros and cons of AWD on a vehicle?

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant
What are the pros and cons of AWD on a vehicle?

Post by Mildane » 05 Jan 2009 11:42 am

I've been thinking about getting a new vehicle in the next year and I know I want something with 4 wheel drive. Some different models I have been looking at only come in All Wheel Drive. I'm just curious what are the pros and cons of AWD? Obviously gas mileage might be a bit lower all the time, but what about wear and tear, maintanence, etc. ? Is it something you want to avoid, like manual paddle shift?
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Re: What are the pros and cons of AWD on a vehicle?

Post by Clouseau » 05 Jan 2009 01:36 pm

We had an Audi A4 AWD for 9 years, and nothing ever went wrong with the drive train, tire wear wasn't excessive and gas mileage was decent. I think AWD might mean a bit lower insurance as well, but 4WD usually means more. I think it also depends on the vehicle you buy as to the reliability of the thing. I know the Audi did really good in the snow, even though the ground clearance on it was close to nothing.
This world may be another planet's hell.{Aldous Huxley}
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.{Aldous Huxley}

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 05 Jan 2009 03:18 pm

Clouseau wrote:We had an Audi A4 AWD for 9 years, and nothing ever went wrong with the drive train, tire wear wasn't excessive and gas mileage was decent. I think AWD might mean a bit lower insurance as well, but 4WD usually means more.
Wait, what's the difference between AWD and 4WD? The 'A' is for "All," right?
Andostre -- 70 Human Priest on Crushridge
Spaten -- 70 Dwarf Warrior on Crushridge
Tleki -- 30s Gnome Warrior on Silver Hand
Lamon -- 40s Orc Warlock on Silver Hand
(And a bunch of other considerably less than 70 alts all scattered about)

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 05 Jan 2009 05:27 pm

Yeah. Awd means there's no option to get it out of 4wd. Snow really is the biggest thing I would use it for. I've gone through enough Rocky Mountain winters without it, I think it's time to upgrade.
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Mozzbi
Private
Private

Post by Mozzbi » 05 Jan 2009 10:55 pm

There is another difference which adds to the previous distinction between
"Full-Time" AWD and selectable 4WD. (I have a Jeep Wrangler.) Most
4WD vehicles operate as 2WD most of the time. The manufacturer warns
you that operating in 4WD on dry roads for any period of time will greatly
increase tire wear, suspension wear and even handling. {On dry pavement
your 4WD will fight the turning and scrub the rubber off your tires at times.

4WD is selected (manually or electrically) in snow, mud, sand, gravel and
other shiggy with drive power divided--usually equally--to all wheels simultaneously.

With a proper AWD, the power is sent most of the time to two wheels
but it can sense when one wheel is slipping and immediately routes the power
to the other wheels to maintain drive. You get the best of both without having
to make all the little micro-decisions. (The AWD does it faster and more
delicately than you could do it anyway.)

4WD adds weight, cost and complexity to the drive train and is really only
needed for a tiny percent of the driving. For most of us, it is that extra tool
in the box that you almost never really need but feel better having.
For 95% of drivers, AWD adds greatly to the safety and performance on all
surfaces with fewer of the costs and compromises. Modern AWD drivetrains
are solid, reliable and sophisticated. You will be very happy with one.
For normal snow packed on streets, mud and wet streets, AWD is all you need.

Gnooki is a big 4WD guy but then he and Voca live in the frozen North and have
snow up to the bungholes months out of the year. 4WD is a very specialized tool
that might be best reserved for those who drive in really sloppy conditions or
off-road or with other specialized needs. (e.g., 4WD is great on a slippery boat ramp
when launching but that is only for 40 feet or so and the wear is negligible.)

I hope that helps...beware, my opinions are worth every penny you are paying for them.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
~~~~~~~ George Orwell ~~~~

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 06 Jan 2009 09:01 am

Wait, what's the difference between AWD and 4WD? The 'A' is for "All," right?
I defer to Mozzbi's explanation, couldn't have said it better myself.
This world may be another planet's hell.{Aldous Huxley}
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.{Aldous Huxley}

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 06 Jan 2009 02:51 pm

With a proper AWD, the power is sent most of the time to two wheels
but it can sense when one wheel is slipping and immediately routes the power
to the other wheels to maintain drive. You get the best of both without having
to make all the little micro-decisions. (The AWD does it faster and more
delicately than you could do it anyway.)
You would almost wish most vehicles were built to do this.
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Gnooki
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Gnooki » 09 Jan 2009 12:23 pm

Mozzbi, so wise and venerable, is absolutely right! With the exception of me being a big 4WD guy, imma big 4x4 guy! >8)

I currently drive a pair of Wranglers: '93 Jeep YJ 4WD and an '80 Jeep CJ7 4x4. The YJ is bein replaced this week by a new '09 model.

The extra expenses associated with having an AWD or 4WD are minimal for wear and tear and maitenance. Fuel economy does suffer when running all 4 wheels at once, but not excessivly, and only when the vehicle is in 4WD. The extra traction and stability you get in an AWD or 4WD make the minor expenses worthwhile.

A AWD car or 4WD truck are great to have on adverse road conditions. Snow, ice, mud and water, no problems. Most of the time you will not even need the extra traction, I have only used 4WD for 5-6 short bursts on the road this winter, but it is a great option to have. Just be cautious that the vehicle is not outpreforming your driving ability. 4WD is nice, but the added traction and stability can fool you into thinking the roads are better than they are!

One big caution I always make: 4WD does NOT necessarily mean Off-Road capable. For the first two weeks every spring, the trails into the local Off-Road areas are littered with off-the-lot Truck parts that have been shaken off of new vehicles. More than once I have had to rescue some "Son of a Soccer Mom" and his buddies, and haul the carcass of their famly SUV to somewhere a Towtruck can access. And that is just on the trail into the park, not where we actually do our 4x4ing!

Increased performance means increased costs. The performance extremes like "Tricked out Sports Cars" or "Heavily Kitted 4x4s" are good for demonstrating diminishing returns for operating expenses. But these are more toys than typical examples of cost; please don't ask what my CJ has cost me over the years...

Nothing wrong with just WANTING a 4WD. The added performance more than justifies the added expense. If ya dont have it, ya cant use it!
All Gnomes are a pet class, we just refer to it as "Grouping".

Mozzbi
Private
Private

Post by Mozzbi » 10 Jan 2009 12:45 am

Gotcha -- 4X4 not 4WD.
What do you expect from a doofus dorf?

Oh, and in response to the idea that all cars should have AWD,
all Subarus do and have all along....all models.

http://www.subaru.com
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
~~~~~~~ George Orwell ~~~~

Gnooki
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Gnooki » 15 Jan 2009 08:49 am

I would never call anyone who has owned a proper Jeep a doofus!!! :D

One question of Midane's we didn't answer was the paddle shift and stuff to be avoided. Paddle shifts are good, electronic shifts are good, manual or automatic hubs are both good, computerized stabilizaiton controll is good, automatic sway bar disconneciton is... well you get the picture. There was a lot of anxiety over all the new electronic and automatic features that were being thrown into all wheel vehicles 25 years ago, but the technology is now proven and reliable. From what I have researched, reviewes and anecdotaly(sp), nothing really stands out as needing to be avoided. Methods of shifting are really more just a case of preference and convenience.

My personal preference has been for having everything manual and mechanical, but I drive an almost 30 year old 4x4, built with 50 year old engineering methods! Only the really old school off roaders dislike the new technology, but that is more a reaction to change than anything else. My new Jeep has all the fancy automatic stuff for the drivetrain, transmission and transfercase, and I am excited to put that stuff to the test, at least while it is still under warranty. >8)

While I was looking for a new car, I did check out the Subaru line. Very nice stuff. I was seriously considering one, or some other "grown up" type car, untill I was cleaning my paintball gear and got a serious wash of testosterone... That reminds me, email is sent Mozzbi, lookin forward to yer Jeep pics!

Midane, please let us know how your hunt is goin, and what way your thinking of going!
All Gnomes are a pet class, we just refer to it as "Grouping".

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 16 Jan 2009 06:38 pm

Well right now I really like the GMC Acadia, but I'm going to wait until next winter to make a decision. That's hoping that my economy holds up. We have a few Jeeps in the family, and I like a few of the Cherokee's, but I find jeeps just uncomfortable on long road trips. The engine firewall seems to protrude into the spot where I would normall rest my foot in a comfortable position. That's really the only con I have for Jeeps.
Quade-(Sawed Off)