Soldering sucks!

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant
Soldering sucks!

Post by Mildane » 18 Mar 2009 05:41 pm

I'm trying to replace the capacitors on my monitors circuit board, and it's just annoying! It's like the freakin iron wont get hot enough and when it does it's difficult to work the desoldering braid into there and keep the heat going. Can't stand it! I wonder if there's somewhere I can take it around here. Didn't we used to have a venting section on the board somewhere?
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Laraque
Civilian
Civilian

Re: Soldering sucks!

Post by Laraque » 20 Mar 2009 08:41 am

desoldering is a pain in the ass if you do not know the exact solder used to begin with and do not have a variable temperature soldering iron to be able to set the melting temp of the solder used so you don't melt too much.

When I have used desoldering braid, I have put the braid on the area I want solder to be removed and then apply the heat through the braid. This gives you better temperature control and the highest heat exactly where you want it: in the braid itself to draw the melted solder away. But it has been over a decade since I did any real amount of soldering and I was never an expert at it to begin with.

That said, if you live anywhere near Southern California I have a great 21" CRT monitor collecting dust that you can have instead of soldering that one.

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 20 Mar 2009 02:30 pm

I couldn't desolder all of it so I just made it hot and pulled the capacitors out. Is that cheating? Anyways I don't know much about circuit boards either. I was just thinking about how much the CRT sucked to look at though, so I went in the garage and pulled out the broken LCD that had been sitting there for 8 months or so. I typed in the model number in a search engine and found a website that helped me fix it. You gotta love the internet.

http://boredprojects.blogspot.com/2008/ ... d-fix.html

After going through his instructions, I now have my LCD goodness back and running. Thanks engineer types!
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Laraque
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Laraque » 20 Mar 2009 03:34 pm

So you have a nice CRT collecting dust that you are trying to get out of your garage by passing it on to some poor schmuck ...er...um...luck person too?

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 20 Mar 2009 05:19 pm

Sorta kinda maybe not really. Since my work isn't guaranteed against fire or warrantied, it's ok to keep the clunker in the garage. Plus it's not my CRT, or my garage.
Quade-(Sawed Off)