New Armory phishing scams

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
New Armory phishing scams

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 15 Jan 2010 11:42 am

Do NOT go find it via Google.

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/15/beware-of ... ing-scams/
WoW.com wrote:Do not go to the following site: armory-worldofwarcnaft.com/wowarmory/, it is evil. Notice the n in warcnaft? You may not when you are clicking on it in your search page or when it shows up in your address bar. And that's what they are counting on. Because the rest of the site looks authentic. When you type in what you want to search for, you get asked for your Battle.net info. Then, no matter what you type in, it gives you a password error. (I typed in profanity. It was fun.) They have stolen all of the elements of the actual Blizzard pages, so that if you want your login page in other languages, just a click of the button will get you there. But don't. It's evil.

So let's say you do fall for this (many people are) and you don't have an authenticator... The next time you log into WoW, there will be an authenticator on your account. You'll have to call up Blizzard Support, convince them you are you, and work with them to get your account back. And the whole time you're doing it, someone is fondling your characters, hocking your bank contents and disenchanting your gear. They may even use your good name to scam someone else.

Please double check where you are anytime a site asks you for your account information. These social engineers are clever, so your safest best is not to search at all for official WoW pages. Just go to WorldofWarcraft.com and navigate to where you need to go.

And please, please, please get an authenticator, either in keyfob form or via your mobile. The pet is adorable and the added layer of security is relaxing. Don't wait for the possibility of them shipping with Cataclysm. Get one now and play in safety.
Seriously, though: Get an authenticator, people. You even get a cute little corehound pup if you do.

Orsco
Private
Private

Re: New Armory phishing scams

Post by Orsco » 15 Jan 2010 01:23 pm

my question is this: where would you see the link to this fake website in the first place? an email? somewhere on the web? honestly, common sense says dont be clicking links from non blizz email and why would you be clicking a link to the armory that was ON the Blizz site. i love common sense.

kronosx
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by kronosx » 15 Jan 2010 01:39 pm

Orsco wrote:my question is this: where would you see the link to this fake website in the first place? an email? somewhere on the web? honestly, common sense says dont be clicking links from non blizz email and why would you be clicking a link to the armory that was ON the Blizz site. i love common sense.
It was the top link on google when searching for wow armory. Apparently Google's removed it now.
Aliarle,Elarac,Riccus,Arkenon,Karsam,Grub

Mithis Graymane
Private
Private

Post by Mithis Graymane » 21 Jan 2010 04:31 pm

Or just keep your favorite sites bookmarked so that you don't have to search for them and possibly navigate to a fake vanity URL for some scam page.

Also, get an authenticator. Players have to take some responsibility for their own account security, and this is a great, cheap opportunity to do so. It's the best $6 you'll ever spend. I got the hard token version (it's just like RSA SecureID tokens my company used before they went to soft tokens), and it renders my account virtually unhackable.
EQ -> WoW -> Tabula Rasa -> EVE -> Warhammer -> Rift -> SW:TOR

Swoogie
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Swoogie » 22 Jan 2010 11:05 am

In the short time I've been playing I had my account stolen twice because of a keylogger on my comp that i found yesterday. Im definitely getting a authenticator.