OK OK - Which one of you GEEKS has seen it?

General discussion board. Open to everyone.

Poll: How would you rate the Revenge of the Sith movie?

Poll ended at 18 Jun 2005 10:29 am

Even Darth Vader couldn't keep me away!
42%
I wouldn't miss it
29%
Not bad
13%
so - so
4%
Wait for Video
8%
Terrible... how could they do that?
4%
Are you Kidding me? Sucked ASS
No votes

Total votes: 24

Dreadstar
Private
Private

Post by Dreadstar » 24 May 2005 07:34 am

Not bad.

My kid and I found ourselves looking at each other and rolling our eyes at some of the more... melodramatic... instances. So many of the *big* scenes just had this "oh, brother!" feel to them.

But I understand the necessity for it. Just as I understand Lucas' inclusion of Jar-Jar previously. But WOW, some of those lines would have done well in the Bulwer-Lytton contest and were delivered with all the finesse of Lovitt and Lithgow's Master Thespians.

But I'd sit through it again for those action sequences. Yes, yes I would, many many times.
I have a *what* on my back?

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 24 May 2005 07:34 am

Vash! You're killing me here! Accepting the Ewoks just because they may lead to a little bootay? Argh!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I would have done the same thing in my hormone addled youth had I known about the "girls=ewoks=some sugar" connection.

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 24 May 2005 09:13 am

This just belongs here, no question.

Vashanti
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Vashanti » 24 May 2005 09:19 am

goomba_boy wrote:Vash! You're killing me here! Accepting the Ewoks just because they may lead to a little bootay? Argh!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I would have done the same thing in my hormone addled youth had I known about the "girls=ewoks=some sugar" connection.
Hahahah :D

Clou: BRILLIANT! :twisted:

Briia
Private
Private

Post by Briia » 04 Jun 2005 04:53 pm

I'd go a few time just to drool over Anakin, ( he doesn't have to say anything.. just stand there and look menacing.... /nod)

Always been a Star Wars fan so I enjoyed the movie alot. It kinda felt like the day after Christmas when it was all over though since now it's all done.

As for movies 7-9 I don't think it will ever happen. For one my hubby has a whole bookcase of the paperbacks that supposedly happened after Return of the Jedi. That many different authors and storylines seems impossible to stick to anything coherent but he likes them.

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 04 Jun 2005 06:53 pm

Splinter of the Mind's Eye - Alan Dean Foster. Maybe it was because I was a juvenile when I read it, but I loved that book. It came out at the time when they only allowed a few Star Wars books to be written that didn't have anything to do with the main story line. There is a Han Solo trilogy running around out there as well that I liked quite a bit.

I started reading some of the newer stuff when they opened the SW universe to other authors, but lost interest quickly in the post-empire storylines.

Jendrick
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Jendrick » 08 Jun 2005 07:34 am

Enjoyed the movie. I had a little trouble with watching the "change" of Anakin to Darth Vader. You see, to me, Darth Vader was such a ruthless badass that it was hard for me to envision him even getting bent out of shape over the death of Padme. Maybe you might see him lower his head thoughtfully for a few seconds, but then he'd move on and be done with it. I never envisioned him crying out in pain.

Also, wasn't Luke about 16 or so in Episode 4? Are you telling me it took them 16 years to build the Death Star? Or was it already built and had been around for a few years? Am I missing something? Wasn't that supposed to be the Death Star they were building at the end? Also, did Obi Wan look only 16 years older in Episode 4? Hee hee, always the critic here. But, I really enjoyed the movie a lot. My son had tears in his eyes at the end of the film.

If I'm giving spoilers, I'm sorry, but I can't imagine that anyone hasn't had the chance to see it yet.
Xanaux / Jendrick

Neffretiri
Private
Private

Post by Neffretiri » 08 Jun 2005 09:08 am

I too never ever thought I'd be sympathetic with Darth Vader, but when he was told he killed Padme and cried out like that I just wanted to comfort him. And yeah I agree - the timing did seem to be a bit off as Obi Wan looks at least 25-30 years older in Chapter 4 than he does in Chapter 3. Still it was a great movie and I'd like to see it again, but alas Mr. and Mrs. Smith comes out this weekend $$$$.

Herb
Private
Private

Post by Herb » 09 Jun 2005 12:07 am

well. i saw it last night and after having been disappointed with the first two, I had high hopes for this one. Sadly, I think I enjoyed the first two more. IMHO the best bit was seeing the shrivelled, burnt body of Hayden Christensen. My apologies for those who like him, but in this film (and the last) he was wooden and one-dimensional.

And if I were to design any fighting droids, there is no way I would make them go 'ouch' everytime they got hit/shot etc.

Not gonna give anymore reasons I didnt like it for fear of spoiling it for anyone who hasnt seen it yet.
Samster / Zhedd / Kalamata : EU Arathor Server

{Herb et al. Retired}
My Life

Vamen
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Post by Vamen » 09 Jun 2005 10:38 am

Yes, Anakin WAS very wooden and stiff in the movie. Or as I like to call him, "Mannequin Skywalker". I 100% could not STAND him in Ep 2. I think he was a LOT better when he was going evil.
As far as the end, then yes that was the Death Star and I imagine something as big as a moon (yet NOT being a moon!) takes a while. If it takes them 5 years to make a strip of road in real life, I can see a Death Star taking a while. Even if they DID build it fast, it probably took all those years to travel to it's destination. I saw no evidence that it can move especially fast, specifically at the end of of the original where it's coming into view of the Rebel base and it's taking them 20 minutes to round the planet so the moon is in view to fire upon.

Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 09 Jun 2005 10:47 am

Except, of course, they build a second Death Star (or at least partially) between "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi."

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 09 Jun 2005 10:57 am

Ringo Flinthammer wrote:Except, of course, they build a second Death Star (or at least partially) between "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi."
I'm not as up on my SW canon as I should be, but has anyone seen anything that would preclude Death Star Mark II from being in construction prior to the events of Episode 4? I think that there is dialog amongst the rebels that indicates that the Empire started on the new DS after DS I was destroyed, but the rebels aren't exactly in the loop regarding what the Empire is doing...

Widge
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Widge » 09 Jun 2005 12:03 pm

Even if they DID build it fast, it probably took all those years to travel to it's destination. I saw no evidence that it can move especially fast, specifically at the end of of the original where it's coming into view of the Rebel base and it's taking them 20 minutes to round the planet so the moon is in view to fire upon.

Well, it's definitely able to go into hyperspace, as it travels from Alderaan to Yavin in Episode IV. Besides, it would be a poor planet-destroying battle station that took generations to get from one condemned world to the next.

As for the second Death Star, it would have probably taken a much shorter timespan to build, as a lot of the construction of the original would have been spent in getting together the actual infrastructure necessary to put it together. Once you've got that though, you can start cranking them out a lot faster.

Plus it's probably like putting together one of those assemble-it-yourself computer desks. The first time you have to read the instructions, make sure you have the right screwdriver, take the thing apart when you realize you put something on upside-down... if you do another one though, you just fly right through it.

;)

Vamen
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Post by Vamen » 09 Jun 2005 01:50 pm

I was, of course, joking. Obviously it had to be able to go into hyperspace or they'd still be trying to get somewhere =p

Vagary
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Vagary » 09 Jun 2005 02:41 pm

Maybe it took a long time to finally get the housing inspectors out there... space is a pretty big place.
Vagary (sleeping)

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 09 Jun 2005 02:51 pm

Not to mention how long it took the local equivalent of OSHA to issue waivers for the rail-less bridges and maliciously retracting walkways over those bottomless shafts...

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 09 Jun 2005 05:22 pm

OSHA was no problem, DV just held out his hand and said, "This battle star is compliant, I will sign all papers for final approval." And the OSHA inspector repeated it and signed.

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 11 Jun 2005 03:34 pm

FINALLY saw it this morning, and will say that for me it was the best of any of them. I LOVED it (except for the idiot playing Anakin/Darth Vadar, he sucks so bad). Not going into a long diatribe on why, but to me it tied things together very well, including 1 & 2. Sure there was some hokey stuff but overall it was awesome, the time flew by. I don't care how much older Obi looked in 4, or that the Death Star was functional by then, it was just great. I'm no "purist", but I know what I like, and this was it.

Jendrick
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Jendrick » 13 Jun 2005 06:53 am

Just watched Episode 4 again last nite. Obi Won makes the comment, "I don't recall ever owning a droid". Now, didn't he actually have a few interactions with R2 D2 in the first 3 films? Apparently, he developed some senility between Episode 3 and 4. :twisted:

When Leah's ship was captured at the beginning, and she had the first interaction with Darth Vader, as he was turning to walk away from her, I pictured her saying, "See ya, Dad!" :D

After the millenium falcon had been pulled into the Death Star by the tractor beam, and Darth Vader said, "I sense a presence in the force that I have not felt since...... " I at first thought he was referring to Luke, but then later remembered he was talking about Obi Won.

We should all do this as an assignment... Watch Episode 4 and tell your random thoughts.
Xanaux / Jendrick

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 13 Jun 2005 07:10 am

I definately plan to watch Episode 4 again, hopefully this weekend.