Bannable, and worth every moment

Share your screenshots. Open to everyone.
zeiram
Private
Private

Post by zeiram » 14 May 2006 11:13 am

Tleki wrote:Blizzard seems so arbitrary in what is allowed or not allowed.
Policy is consistant, enforcement however, is not ;)

Neffretiri
Private
Private

Post by Neffretiri » 15 May 2006 08:57 am

PLEASE don't beat me, honey!
You say that like it's a bad thing.............and we know you!!
Neffie
Mage of Azsocami
Silverhand

Vashanti
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Vashanti » 15 May 2006 10:11 am

Neffretiri wrote:
PLEASE don't beat me, honey!
You say that like it's a bad thing.............and we know you!!
:oops:

Teehee!

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 16 May 2006 08:27 am

zeiram wrote:Policy is consistant, enforcement however, is not ;)
Really? Maybe I misunderstand the policy, then. Or don't even know it at all....

I just see that exploiting certain game mechanics are okay, while exploiting other game mechanics are not.
Andostre -- 70 Human Priest on Crushridge
Spaten -- 70 Dwarf Warrior on Crushridge
Tleki -- 30s Gnome Warrior on Silver Hand
Lamon -- 40s Orc Warlock on Silver Hand
(And a bunch of other considerably less than 70 alts all scattered about)

Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 16 May 2006 08:42 am

"Exploit" has a very precise definition: It's the stuff you're not allowed to do, even if the game mechanics make it possible.

You cannot exploit the game mechanics legally. If it's legal, it's not an exploit.

For the most part, big things like getting around their stated rules (using non-standard language characters on an English server, for instance, or getting into unopened areas) are exploits.

Vashanti
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Vashanti » 16 May 2006 08:55 am

Every time I think of "Exploit," I remember the jerks would would jump on the huts in Crushbone to nuke orcs but be too high for the Orcs to reach them.

I mean, I know orcs are *dumb* but still...

was great fun reporting them and having a GM show up while I was still there to laugh.

:D

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 16 May 2006 10:07 am

Ringo Flinthammer wrote:"Exploit" has a very precise definition: It's the stuff you're not allowed to do, even if the game mechanics make it possible.

You cannot exploit the game mechanics legally. If it's legal, it's not an exploit.
Well, see, that's how Blizzard defines "exploit" as it applies to their game. I meant it in the more everyday way. I should have said, "I just see that using certain game mechanics to my advantage are okay, while using other game mechanics to my advantage are not."

For example, you know those three pirate ships at the very South of STV? If I need to make a quick getaway, I can jump overboard on the side opposite the boarding ramp knowing full well that any mobs that chase me will have to go down the boarding ramp and then cross under the ship to the side I jumped off on to chase me. This easily gives me enough time to swim far enough out that they reset and go back to their starting positions.

As far as I know, that's okay, but then I'll hear about how certain instances of kiting are "exploits."

Are you guys saying that Blizzard has some exploit standard that goes beyond "that's not the way we want it to work?"

Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 16 May 2006 10:57 am

I have never seen or heard of any Blizzard employee saying kiting was an exploit. It's not something they encourage -- the game mechanics are quite different here than in EQ1, where it's a matter of course -- but I would be flabbergasted to hear anyone got in trouble for it, especially since there's content tailor-made for doing so.

Lthosalfar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lthosalfar » 24 May 2006 01:19 am

That's cool Gumb. Always wanted to check that place out.

Matthias
Private
Private

Post by Matthias » 24 May 2006 04:32 am

Very cool, Guumbah. =)

Awhile ago, Ikeya and I fought/snunk our way through Darkwhisper Gorge, but we couldn't get ourselves past the gate to Mt. Hyjal. Clearly you succeeded where we failed, though. =P

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 24 May 2006 07:34 am

I'm getting a hankering for heading back there, so if anyone is interested in taking the trip with me I'll bring you along. You need to be able to get to Darkwhisper Gorge on your own, and if you can't stealth we'll need enough people along to keel the demons as we go (3 should be enough). I shall then lead you unto the promised land.

Disclaimer: You may get banned for doing this. I may get banned for doing this. You have been warned.

Oh, and if you really want to leave the place in style, pack along some Noggenfogger elixers for the base jump competition.

Widge
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Widge » 24 May 2006 11:07 am

goomba_boy wrote:Oh, and if you really want to leave the place in style, pack along some Noggenfogger elixers for the base jump competition.
Or just be a Mage! :D /flex

Lanorith
Private
Private

Post by Lanorith » 15 Jun 2006 01:30 pm

I found an unfinished zone out of searing gorge. It actually takes you UNDER Stormwind. I have shots but don't know how to post them here.

Perhaps someone would be kind to tell me how I could do that?

Like Guum I just used some ingenuity and had the right power, blink in this case. No 3rd party.

"If you're going to play the game, play to win."

"When I was young all my friends were imaginary. Now that I'm older all my friends are virtual."

Lanorith Ironheart

danin
Private
Private

Post by danin » 15 Jun 2006 09:09 pm

Oooh, that sounds interesting. Has anyone ever been able to get to the instance behind the gate in SW?
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- and it's longer than any
hour. That's relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Lanorith
Private
Private

Post by Lanorith » 16 Jun 2006 01:28 pm

Well, I have been there and it is not done from what I see. Just cuts off into nothing.

"If you're going to play the game, play to win."

"When I was young all my friends were imaginary. Now that I'm older all my friends are virtual."

Lanorith Ironheart

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 16 Jun 2006 05:54 pm

If you go East out of the Hinterlands, and then turn North up the coast, eventually you'll be able to worm your way over the mountains into the undeveloped area above the Eastern Plaguelands. I'd show you more than one screenshot, but there's really not much there.

Actually, there is one thing: if you go over to the backside of Stratholme, you can see the lake that surrounds it stop in mid air!

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 18 Jun 2006 10:42 pm

Tleki wrote:If you go East out of the Hinterlands, and then turn North up the coast, eventually you'll be able to worm your way over the mountains into the undeveloped area above the Eastern Plaguelands. I'd show you more than one screenshot, but there's really not much there.

Actually, there is one thing: if you go over to the backside of Stratholme, you can see the lake that surrounds it stop in mid air!
I did that once too - Stratholme from the back was kinda cool to see...