Email Scam

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Swoogie
Civilian
Civilian
Email Scam

Post by Swoogie » 15 Feb 2010 10:09 am

Hey all,
I have been getting many emails like this and wanted to let everyone know that if you get a email that seems like it is from Blizz, just go to the site. DONT CLICK LINKS.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
To: luc111222@hotmail.com
Subject: World Of Warcraft Account Security
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:49:19 +0800

Greetings!
When we carry out a routine check when the account, we have evidence to show that your account has been involved in the disputed transactions.
So we have to inform you visit our website [SITE EDITED OUT BY RINGO] fill out some information to facilitate our investigation.
If you can not tie in with our soon we will have to temporarily lock your account.
Sincerely,
Blizzard, Inc.
Copyright @ 2010 Blizzard, Inc. All rights reserved

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

As you can obviously see, it seems 100% legitimate but the URL is [URL EDITED OUT BY RINGO]. Sometimes they are more clever and use hyperlinks to disguise thier URL's that end up loading you comp with malware. Just please go to worldofwarcraft.com and then sign into your account.
-Swoogie

EDIT: You can forward these fake emails to HACKS@blizzard.com

Swoogie
Civilian
Civilian

Re: Email Scam

Post by Swoogie » 15 Feb 2010 10:15 am

I spaced out the URL in the quoted email b/c I didnt want it working as a link.

Mozzbi
Private
Private

Post by Mozzbi » 07 May 2010 05:42 pm

You got ONE!!?? Hell's Bells! I have gotten two dozen with a wide variety of "From:" addresses. If Blizz has something to discuss, they have my telephone number. I ain't answering ANY of these nor clicking anything. (Don't ask how I know for certain how nasty these things can get.) <Groan!>
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
~~~~~~~ George Orwell ~~~~

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 09 May 2010 01:59 pm

Heh. They go to such lengths to get the copyright to look good, they forget about grammar in their main paragraph.
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Ringo Flinthammer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Ringo Flinthammer » 11 May 2010 10:40 am

Yeah, I get several a day, sometimes as many as a dozen. I pity Blizzard if they actually try to reach me by e-mail now.

(And this is a great reason to have an e-mail just for your gaming needs, incidentally.)