Strange Emails from Battlenet/Blizzard...

General discussion board. Open to everyone.
Thallas
Private
Private
Strange Emails from Battlenet/Blizzard...

Post by Thallas » 08 Jan 2011 12:29 pm

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting emails marked as from Battlenet and or Blizzard saying that a request to change my battlenet email/password has been issued.
Its says to log into battlenet and confirm or deny else my account will be switched...I logged onto battle net and dug around for some way to deny this...ended up sending emails to battlenet and blizzard denying any change request...I got several automated replies that they had gotten the emails but were "too busy to respond". So I called the support number which basically says "We are too busy please never call this number again k thx bai". I just got new emails this morning saying that my account had been switched and I no longer have access to my battlenet account...
I logged in to WoW just fine after I got the email but...I find this a bit troubling...Does anyone have any insight into wtf is going on or what I should do if anything?

Thallas
Private
Private

Re: Strange Emails from Battlenet/Blizzard...

Post by Thallas » 08 Jan 2011 12:39 pm

Here are some of the emails...

Hello,

Blizzard Entertainment recently received a request to change the e-mail address used to log in to the Battle.net account with the username ****@*******.com. The e-mail address k***@hotmail.com has been specified as the new username for this Battle.net account. An email has been sent to this new address containing a verification link to complete the change.

Once the new address has been verified, the e-mail address *****@******.com can no longer be used to log in to this Battle.net account or any World of Warcraft accounts merged with this Battle.net account.

If you did not initiate this request, please click here to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team immediately.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Greetings,
Thank you for contacting Blizzard's Account and Technical Services department. Due to our current wait times we are sending this follow up email. We recognize that some players may have already received answers to questions they've submitted. The instructions in this email will help us to identify those still in need of assistance and thereby reduce wait times.

First, we want to assure you that we received your email. Second, your assistance in following the instructions in this email allows us to provide you and the rest of our player community the most efficient service possible. Please do not respond to this email, if your issue is resolved. Doing so could potentially create longer wait times. If you have received the necessary answer to resolve your issue and you do not reply, we will consider your issue closed.

If you have not received a response then please read through the list of common issues below. If the links provided do not sufficiently answer your question, and you require additional assistance, please reply to this email; you will not have lost your place in line and we will address your concerns in the order in which they were received.

*** If your account has been compromised and you've not yet received notification that your issue is in queue to be addressed, please review the Compromised Account Information section of this email. ***

-For questions regarding StarCraft II technical issues or policy information please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US&gameId=13

-For questions regarding Recruit-A-Friend or trial accounts please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20588&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2331

-For questions regarding Authenticators please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=26552&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=3533

-For questions regarding the Pet Store please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=29845&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=3533

-For questions regarding the Blizzard Store please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=22765

-For questions regarding password resets please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20485&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2322

-For questions regarding Paid Character Transfers please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20558&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2327

-For questions regarding Faction Changes please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=28825&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2317

-For questions regarding Parental Controls please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=29885&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2322

-For any questions regarding subscription payment please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21450&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2324

-For questions regarding World of Warcraft account cancellation please go here: us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20502&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2324

=================COMPROMISED ACCOUNT INFORMATION==================

If you are reporting your account as compromised (hacked, stolen, etc) and have not received notification that your issue is in queue to be addressed, please email our In-Game Support staff directly at WoWGM.Blizzard.com with the following information:

E-Mail Subject: World of Warcraft Account Compromise

In the E-Mail?s Body, include:
WoW Account Name:
Battle.Net Account Name:
Normal Play Realm:
Known Losses:

Please note, if you have received notification no response is necessary. As stated previously, unnecessary responses could potentially create longer wait times.

Account compromises most often occur when a player shares login information with an unauthorized third party or plays on a computer that has a virus, Trojan, or key-logger. We recommend following the us.battle.net/security/checklist on our Account Security site at us.battle.net/security/.

Thanks,
Account and Technical Services
Blizzard Entertainment

-----Original Message-----
To: web.support.blizzard.com
Sent: 12/24/2010 10:07:13 AM
Subject: [en]World of Warcraft -- Other

Contact Information -----------------------
Name: dallas moore
Email: *****@*****.com

System Information ------------------------
IP: 75.147.196.241

Request ------------------------------------
Product: World of Warcraft
Category: Other --

Description --------------------------------

For the second time I have received an email from blizzard saying that an attempt was made to change my battlenet password...I have pasted the text below: Blizzard Entertainment recently received a request to change the e-mail address used to log in to the Battle.net account with the username *****@******.com. The e-mail address k***@hotmail.com has been specified as the new username for this Battle.net account. An email has been sent to this new address containing a verification link to complete the change.

Once the new address has been verified, the e-mail address ******@*******.com can no longer be used to log in to this Battle.net account or any World of Warcraft accounts merged with this Battle.net account.

I did not initiate this change. Please refrain from any transfer or password changes that do not come from ******.com. Thank you

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for emailing Blizzard Billing and Account Services!

This is an automated response to your email to confirm that we have received your message. A response to your current message will be sent to you as soon as possible. Please do not reply directly to this message as multiple emails may cause delays in response time.

PLEASE NOTE: Emails are processed in the order received during our normal business hours of 7am to 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week. We also offer live Billing support by phone during these hours at: 1-800-592-5499, customers in Australia should call 1-800-041-378. Automated phone support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To find more information Billing, Technical Support, In-Game Support and Account Administration please use the following link us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?gameId=11

Regards,

Billing & Account Services
Blizzard Entertainment

Thallas
Private
Private

Post by Thallas » 08 Jan 2011 12:43 pm

And I just got another one...

Hello,

Blizzard Entertainment recently received a request to change the e-mail address used to log in to the Battle.net account with the username *****@*****.com. The e-mail address k***@hotmail.com has been specified as the new username for this Battle.net account. An email has been sent to this new address containing a verification link to complete the change.

Once the new address has been verified, the e-mail address *****@******.com can no longer be used to log in to this Battle.net account or any World of Warcraft accounts merged with this Battle.net account.

If you did not initiate this request, please click here to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team immediately.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

Thallas
Private
Private

Post by Thallas » 08 Jan 2011 12:46 pm

the "click here" link goes to:

us.worldofwarcraft.adminverify.net/account.htm

but I'm afraid to click there after allll this crap...

Widge
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Widge » 08 Jan 2011 01:41 pm

Based on the fact that the link supplied goes to a site that's definitely not Blizzard, I'd say this is just a phishing attempt. My sister got a very similar e-mail a few months ago (maybe the exact same thing, actually) which was sent to an e-mail account that she didn't start using until after she quit playing WoW. Assuming you haven't clicked on any of the links in the e-mails and attempted to login using your battle.net username and password, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Thallas
Private
Private

Post by Thallas » 09 Jan 2011 12:54 am

I finally talked to someone at blizzard today and they assured me all was fine. It is a phishing scam so remember to check those links even if it looks official. Validator incoming...

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 10 Jan 2011 09:05 am

Thallas wrote:I finally talked to someone at blizzard today and they assured me all was fine. It is a phishing scam so remember to check those links even if it looks official. Validator incoming...
I broke the links and email addresses in your posts, Thall, just in case someone decided to check them out.

I get these emails all the time, but the funny thing is they come to secondary email accounts, and none of them have ever been tied to my WoW account, yet the main email attached to me WoW account gets pretty much no spam like that. Always check where the link goes, if it isn't us.battle.net then it's a hoax, and even if it is us.battle.net it may be a hoax, so be vigilant.
This world may be another planet's hell.{Aldous Huxley}
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.{Aldous Huxley}

Tenri
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Tenri » 21 Jan 2011 06:24 pm

I also received emails for both WOW and EQ nothing came of the WOW account but the EQ account did get stolen and was being used by someone with an address in California and a zip code from Illinois could possibly get approved ( they didn’t care that it happened)
I was told it happens and that my account is now locked until I renew it by phone

Shiloch
Private
Private

Post by Shiloch » 25 Jan 2011 07:55 pm

You have to be very, very careful when clicking stuff in emails that are telling you to do stuff to your account. Some of those phishing emails are incredibly intelligent. The most common phish for WoW accounts only require you to click the link. Once the link is clicked, this is what happens:

- Phishing malware is immediately installed to your computer.
- Official-looking Blizzard web page is loaded prompting you to type in your account login information.
- Your IP and email are added to a database linking to each other and verifying your email address as a valid WoW account, which is put on a list that will subject you to future phishing attempts.
- Phishing malware starts searching your computer for address books, forum links in your browser history, etc. for any email address it can contact and blasts the same email phish to all of those addresses.
- Installs a keystroke monitor so it will capture your WoW login/password next time you legitimately log in to WoW.

All of this happens in milliseconds. After you've clicked the link, the above happens all in the same amount of time it takes for you to blink your eye.

I've also heard rumors that certain newer versions of these phishes can duplicate your authenticator if you have one.

Simply by clicking the link in your email you can expose your account to phishing, you can also put all of your friends' accounts in jeopardy as well, the damage done by this is widespread and painful to recover from.

It's good advice to error on the side of caution and do not click anything in any email that has anything to do with WoW. There are exceedingly few instances where Blizzard will send you anything that needs to be clicked, so the first thing through your mind when you see something like this is NOT to click anything.

Mildane
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mildane » 02 Feb 2011 11:32 pm

Damn. It's just a game. Why can't people just let others play? How lame do you have to really be to need to steal accounts for your livelihood?
Quade-(Sawed Off)

Shiloch
Private
Private

Post by Shiloch » 03 Feb 2011 09:42 am

There's a market for people buying in-game goods for real dollars. The cheapest and most efficient way to obtain those goods for sale is piracy through stolen accounts. If you're a devious software programmer looking to make a buck, you can write the malware to do this job with the potential pool of targets at around 12 million people. Even if one tenth of one percent of people are stupid enough to click the link in the email you send to them, that's 1200 people. The only real protection you have currently is that they don't have your e-mail address. You have to obtain that somehow, even that's not impossible if you start thinking about it. All you have to do is get the malware installed on one person that you can verify has an account, then you can strip other e-mail addresses from their hard drive, or even from memory if they have RealID friends. It can spiderweb from there on an exponential scale. The level of sophistication of these account-stealing software packages is continually improving. As I mentioned before, they've already found ways of duplicating authenticators. The success rate, while still pretty small given how smart these things are, is good enough that you can't talk to a player in WoW that doesn't at least know someone whose account has been stolen. It's enough of an issue that Blizzard seems to have an entire department that deals in account theft.