not really story telling...but how do you become your class

Warcraft-related fiction and other creative works. Open to everyone.
Filan Fyretracker
Private
Private
not really story telling...but how do you become your class

Post by Filan Fyretracker » 11 Dec 2006 04:10 pm

just something ive thought about usually while in the car. but ive allways kinda wondered how does one become their class. ive assumed that using Filine as an example was probally entered into some form of mage school at a young age.(and then from a gameplay persective level 1 is what you are when you are set loose on the world and no longer a student/apprentice).

and ive allways kinda figured atleast in stormwind the kids at some point are tested to see which classes they could have potential in(magical ability, combat, etc.)

Beli Flinthammer
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Beli Flinthammer » 11 Dec 2006 08:46 pm

Huh. I had to really sit down and think about it. I guess I could make a roleplay story from it. Personally I'd just have it as a vocation that interested my character along the way rather than go to a Hogwarts type of school and being told what she exceled in. For example, I've always had an interest in the subject of criminology and forensics. I could find something RP-like that would have guided Beli into the area of death and body repair. I'd have to think about it some more, really. Good thought to bring up!
Goblin + Engineering = KNOW HOW, BABY!

Tleki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tleki » 11 Dec 2006 09:35 pm

One of the things that I enjoy the most about playing a Priest is how (from an RP perspective) there's a lot of variety in their motivations. Paladins, too, for that matter.

Humans, Dwarves, and Draenei follow the Light, which is as much philosophical as it is religious. The Forsaken adhere to the Shadow, which as near as I can tell is the flip-side of the coin to the Light. Elves worship Elune. Trolls have a voodoo based religion.

You know, I know where the Blood Elf Paladins place their "faith," but I'm not sure if their Priests adhere to the same doctrine.

Anyway, for Priests, no matter which race, I've always seen them as driven to their occupation. Their becoming a Priest being more a result of their dedication and obsessive drive instead of physical or mental ability.
Andostre -- 70 Human Priest on Crushridge
Spaten -- 70 Dwarf Warrior on Crushridge
Tleki -- 30s Gnome Warrior on Silver Hand
Lamon -- 40s Orc Warlock on Silver Hand
(And a bunch of other considerably less than 70 alts all scattered about)

Clouseau
Commander
Commander

Post by Clouseau » 12 Dec 2006 08:09 am

I played good (paladin) and bad (shadowknight) in EQ, and decided that in WoW it was time to play a kind of neutral class that could go either way (rogue). Clou's past was petty thief and thug, then he was lead to the Sawed Off militia unit by Bronzebeard himself, thus turning himself around (kind of, some would argue otherwise).
This world may be another planet's hell.{Aldous Huxley}
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.{Aldous Huxley}

Gyrik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gyrik » 12 Dec 2006 11:01 pm

Gyrik was one of the many gnomish children orphaned by the Gnomeregan disaster, along with his sister Kindel. Due to a speech impediment he's largely gotten over, he got very good at being quiet and making small notice of himself, and picked up some thieving skills picking a living out of the pockets of the wealthy in Ironforge. Eventually, he got picked by the Ironforge guards, and cut a deal helping them get some dirt on the Rogue guild leader (there's an early quest which suggests he has something brewing against the Ironforge authorities), and ended up in Sawed Off rather then jail. Kindel was taken in by the family who runs the tailoring shop in Ironforge, and showed a knack for magic, so they got her a tutor.

Backstory is the best part of playing my characters =) I have a warlock who used to be part ofthe Scarlet Crusade, and a female dwarf hunter who's still looking for a good juicy RP background.

goomba_boy
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by goomba_boy » 12 Dec 2006 11:30 pm

I haven't been the best about writing a back story for Guum, but I used some of the earlier quest and world content to write a couple of early stories. I've been too damn busy since then to do any writing whatsoever, but there is plenty of content in the world that you can pick up on and amplify for your personal tale.

Widge
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Widge » 13 Dec 2006 06:03 am

I think it really all depends on the character and class. I would imagine most spellcasters probably attended some sort of school, though Widge did not. Rogues, on the other hand, most likely have no "formal" training, as evidenced by the backstories Clou and Gyrik have related (Though the idea of an instructor addressing what appears to be an empty classroom because all the students are stealthed just popped into my head and amused me). The same would be true of most Hunters, except instead of learning their skills on the streets like a rogue, a hunter probably picks things up from their family as they grow up.

Really I think it's all up to the individual player. I think that from a roleplaying standpoint, it's not necessary to hold yourself strictly to what you actually did while leveling up in order to develop a good backstory. The stories I've written about Widge are pretty faithful to my in-game experiences, basically when the game "began" four years after the Third War, Widge had very basic (level 1) Mage skills and chose to develop them from there doing all those little quests in Dun Morogh. If another Mage wanted to say that they studied in Dalaran for years and was basically the equivalent of their current Level 60 incarnation when they went out into the world though, I think that's just as legitimate a story.